Forensic Nurse Examiner
Our Registered Nurses (RN’s) are specially trained to treat an individual who has experienced an individual who has experienced sexual assaults, both physically and emotionally. The Forensic Nurse Examiner works to help preserve a victim survivor’s dignity and reduce psychological trauma after an assault. A trained Volunteer Response Advocate will accompany the nurse to one of our partnering hospitals or the SART Center.
Evidence collection of an assault is another part of the Forensic Examination. Even if you don’t think you want to report the crime to police, we encourage you to complete the full exam and we will hold the evidence for you in case you change your mind later. We are here just for you and will listen and care for you as an individual. Our RN’s are mandated reporters for clients under the age 18.
What the Medical Forensic Exam Includes
- A complete interview with you to obtain a history of the events and the assault
- A pelvic examination (female) with a speculum to obtain biological evidence (the assailant’s DNA) in patients over the age of 13
- An evaluation, analysis and documentation of genital injuries
- A total body inspection to evaluate, analyze and treat you for injuries
- Collection and preservation of evidence following proper forensic standards
- Document, interpret and present findings to the police and the District Attorney (if you choose to report), on your behalf
- Draw blood and collect urine for testing of “date rape drugs”
- Provide information and offer you medications to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STI’s)
- Testify in court (if you choose to press charges), on your behalf
Volunteer Response Advocate
Our Volunteer Response Advocates are trained community members who volunteer to provide advocacy, support, crisis counseling, information and referrals to those who have experienced victimization through our 24/7 helpline. Our Volunteer Response Advocates also provide advocacy and accompaniment during the sexual assault exam as well as advocacy and accompaniment to law enforcement interviews.
You do not have to have an exam to utilize our Advocacy Services.