The Forensic Nurse Examiner is a casual on-call position that provides sensitive and objective medical forensic nursing assessments to patients, age 13 and older, who experienced sexual assault and/or domestic violence. The Forensic Nurse Examiner provides patients with immediate medical care and facilitates appropriate referral and follow- up care and protects the patient from further emotional or physical harm. The Forensic Nurse Examiner provides timely, thorough and professional forensic evidence collection, documentation and preservation of evidence for law enforcement and in a collaborative effort with the community’s agencies, provides quality care and assistance with the legal process.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Forensic Nurse Coordinator
- The medical forensic examination includes addressing the patient’s medical needs and forensic needs which include:
- Interviewing the patient to obtain a history of the events
- Pelvic examination with a speculum to obtain biological evidence (perpetrators DNA)
- Evaluate, analyze and document genital injuries
- Body inspection to evaluate, analyze and treat physical injuries,
- Collect and preserve forensic evidence
- Document, interpret and present findings to law enforcement and District Attorney
- Draw blood and collect urine specimens for toxicology testing in cases of suspected drug facilitated rape
- Provide medications to prevent sexually transmitted infections (STI’s)
- Offer Emergency Contraception
- Testify in court
- Facilitate Sexual Assault/Domestic Abuse Victim Advocacy, shelter and/or follow up services and or referrals.
- Provide assistance and support to co-workers as needed.
- Attend staff meetings and training opportunities as assigned.
- Maintains awareness and adheres to agency operating policies and procedures.
- Maintains harmonious working relationships with community, staff, volunteers, and clients.
HOURS: On-call minimum availability of sixty eight hours per month
SALARY RANGE: On-call compensation and fee per case as stated on RN Compensation Fee Schedule.
- Registered Nurse license
- Forensic Nurse or Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner education
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent communication, both orally and written
- Ability to work independently
- Self motivated